Life, Money, Hope: Am I Generous? (Week 3)
Preacher: Daniel Erasmus
Worship: For worship, listen to “Gratitude” by Brandon Lake. The lyrics of this song encourage us to worship God even when we don’t have the necessary words or when we feel we have nothing to offer. That even if we just lift our hands and sing HALLELUJAH that is acceptable to Him. As long as we have breath in our lungs, we can still praise our Lord. That is enough!
Check-in: As part of your check-in, allow each person to share how this sermon series thus far has impacted their lives. What work has God done in your life and within your heart regarding stewarding His finances and managing debt? Also share how sharing the ACT OF KINDNESS cards has shifted your perspective/heart when it comes to giving?
Bible Readings: Haggai 1:5-7; 1 Timothy 6:18-19; John 12:1-6; John 6:70; Malachi 3:8-10; John 12:7; 2 Corinthians 8:5; Zephaniah 3:17; Matthew 6:21; 2 Corinthians 9:11; Mark 14:9; Hebrews 11:6
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
Ps Daniel shared with us on Sunday that we are all born selfish. We only become generous once we are “born again”. Being generous doesn’t come naturally. God doesn’t look at what we are giving but with what attitude we are giving. We also discovered that the most generous people are the ones who are grateful and that God rewards those who are generous.
- We’ve heard that the enemy of generosity is selfishness. Do you consider yourself as generous? If not, what are the things that could be holding you back from being generous? Share your responses with each other. Malachi 3:8
- A question Ps Daniel asked was: “Does an extravagant gift impress God?” Yes, but it’s not related to the amount. God looks at our attitude and our heart. Look at John 12:5 and how extravagant Mary’s gift was. Consider the reasons why you give. Are you giving to expect something in return? Do a heart check (Matthew 6:21) and share with the group: what attitude accompanies your giving?
- Take some time to list five things you are grateful for. Did you know that generosity comes from a place of gratitude? Grateful people are generally the most generous people. As you share with the group which way you can display your gratitude; consider one of the following Edge Partnerships as an act of generosity:
- U-Turn: Buy a pack of “MiChange” vouchers for R50 for someone to receive basic services which incl. food, clothing, a shower and a bed.
- Aslan: purchase one of 500 bibles (R60 ea) to be handed out during mission week
- Organ Donation: Sign up
Ps Daniel shared a “Random Act of Kindness” challenge with us on Sunday. This entails showing a colleague an act of kindness by making/buying them a cuppa, sharing a sandwich, etc. Go around in your group and share what you intend doing this week.
Prayer: As you close in prayer, go around the group and lift each other’s prayer concerns up to God.
- Meditate on Matthew 6:21 (NLT) “Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.”
- Resources: Visit the church website for additional resources to assist you in using money God’s way.
Another way of being generous is by sharing your TIME, TALENT, and TREASURE.
- TIME: During the Christmas Season at Edge Church and beyond we need volunteers to serve in various areas.
- TALENT: We’re also looking for actors/dancers to participate in our church’s Christmas Spectacular.
- TREASURE: Prepare your hearts for giving as we take up a special offering on Sunday the 26th of November.
To sign up for any of these, for upcoming next steps, or more info, visit Church Center/ the website.