Called by His Name
Preacher: Justin Matthews
Worship and check-in: Spend time in worship as a group As you find me by Hillsong United before checking in. Share with the group how your level of faith has increased during the past week as you trust God in the situation you’re facing.
Bible Readings: 1 Peter 2:9-10 (NLT); Deuteronomy 14:2; Hebrews 4:16 (NLT); Galatians 4:6-7 (NLT); Ephesians 1:4-5 (NLT)
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
Justin shared with us a challenge that he has been wrestling with – that we may KNOW God (Head/Knowledge), but do we BELIEVE that we know who God is, that what He says He will do, He will do? That He is with us in our storm and that despite what we see we can believe and trust Him.
- Has there been a season in your life where you have just ticked a box for having a quiet time, going to church, going to life group, and serving? Share with the group what shifted your thinking when you were in that season or as you listened to the sermon on Sunday.
- Justin asked us some questions to consider:
- Do I know that God is my God?
- How could God be with me?
- Do I really belong (to God and my church community)?
- Does God know how unworthy I feel because of the things I’ve hidden or kept secret?
- Does God know what I’m going through or have been through? Does He know me?
Share with the group what stood out for you about your relationship with God and what you can do to draw closer to Him. To trust that He is with you. To know (really know Him, not just head knowledge) and believe that coming to Jesus, and being honest with Him (and others) will bring freedom into your life?
- Read 1 Peter 2:9-10 (NLT). Highlight the words in the verses that stand out to you and why? Do you believe God’s word is for you? Do you believe that you are a son or daughter of the most High God? Jesus invites us to come to Him, to be known. Share with the group what you believe God clarified for you about who you are to Him.
- Jesus asks us to be His ambassador to share the good news with others. Share how you could begin to share the good news of who Jesus is and what He’s done for you.
Check out and Prayer:
As you check out, share one truth that you are going to repeat daily as a reminder of whose you are! Pray prayers of thankfulness to God for what He’s done for you.
- Meditate on 1 Peter 2:9 (NLT) “But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.”
- For personal study check out the following devotions on YouVersion:
For upcoming next steps in your discipleship journey; like Baptism or serving. Sign up online at Church Center/ the website.