Parenting on Purpose: Unchanging Principles of Parenting – Week 2
Speaker: Dr Genevieve da Silva
Worship and check-in: As part of worship, listen to “Our Father by Bethel Worship”. Consider what it would look like for heaven “to come in your life” would look like, on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Check-in: Share what you did differently in modeling putting God first in your daily life to those around you, especially the children/youth in your family/neighbourhood.
Bible Readings: Ephesians 3:15; Mark 10:13-16 (NLT).
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
In this series, we are considering God’s guidance and insights on how to raise children to be strong in their faith and fully focused on Him. Together we will uncover practical wisdom that will empower you to navigate the incredible journey of parenthood toward this goal. The journey has many pathways to many places and different ways to get there. The direction we take is always determined by the desired destination. Dr. Genevieve da Silva shared some practical tools and truths with us.
- The 3 principles shared from Mark 10:13-16 were:
- Attentive Time
- Loving Touch
- Encouraging Talk
As you read this passage, put yourself in the story (experience it personally) – Jesus was busy, we know now that he had 3 years to complete God’s purposes for mankind. Yet, he still says to let the little children come to Him. He puts the busyness of the day aside to connect with them. God created us for relationship. When you put yourself in this story, what do you hear God saying to you? Do you see the principles above or is what you hear and see based on what you know from relationships within your home/family? Share with the group what stood out to you.
- Dr. Genevieve asked us to imagine what our families could look like if we applied these 3 things in our everyday parenting. Share with the group what it would do for your children, grandkids, etc., and their development. But more importantly, what would it do for their faith and intimacy with Jesus?
Check out and Prayer:
Share what you are committing to practically do raising the next generation, whether your own children, grandkids or those in your family or in our church.
Take time to go around the circle and pray for our children, our relationships with them, and with God.
- Meditate on Ephesians 3:14-15 “When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth.”
For personal study check out the following devotions on YouVersion:
- Nurturing Great Kids
- Blended Families
- Things I wish I had known before we became parents.
- Co-Parenting with God’s help!
- Raising uncommon kids!
- For upcoming next steps in your discipleship journey; like Baptism or serving. Sign up online at Church Center/ the website.