HC Commissioning: God of Generations
Speaker: Daniel Erasmus
Worship and check-in: As part of worship, listen to “I Thank God by Maverick City” and take time to thank God for what He has done in your life. The lyrics remind us that because of Him we are changed and forever free. That our feet are placed upon the solid Rock, and we have reason to THANK GOD!
Share one thing you were challenged to do from the Father’s Day sermon to remain intimately connected to God. Share with the group what you did to make this possible and how it impacted you personally.
Bible Readings:Exodus 3:15; 1 Samuel 3; 2 Kings 2:9-10; Mark 4:31; 1 Cor 3:6-9;
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
As we commissioned the volunteers for HC, Ps Daniel shared that it takes an army of spiritual mothers and fathers to help pave the way for whatever God wants to do in the lives of the Next Gen. He highlighted various people in the bible who came alongside the Next Gen to encourage them in their spiritual journey and shared that our God is a God of Generations. They were Moses & Joshua; Eli & Samuel; David & Samuel; Mary & Elizabeth; Elijah & Elisha.
- If we look at the story of Eli and Samuel; 1 Samuel 3. We see how Eli impacted Samuel’s life. Discuss what Eli did to encourage Samuel when Samuel heard the Lord calling him. Then share with the group which Next Gen person (in your family/community) can you encourage by speaking life and hope into their life.
- We also heard how Samuel identified something in David that no one (even his own family) saw in him. Samuel mentored David and became his spiritual father. Take time to consider what is in your hand, what do you have to offer to someone in the Next Gen phase? Is it a serving opportunity in church or perhaps in the community? Perhaps it’s something your LG can do together.
Check out and Prayer:
Read 1 Corinthian 3:6-9 “I planted the seed in your heart, and Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.”
Check out: Share one step you’ll be taking in the upcoming week to help plant or water a seed in the life of a Next Gen person.
Prayer: Commit each other to prayer as you close, praying for eyes to see the potential in the Next Gen and for opportunities to make a difference.
- Continue to meditate on 1 Corinthian 3:6-9 “I planted the seed in your heart, and Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.”
- For personal study check out the following devotions on YouVersion:
- Planting the Seed
- From Shepherd to King
- Prayer Challenge: For the Next Generation
- For upcoming next steps in your discipleship journey; like Baptism or serving. Sign up online at Church Center/ the website.