God, why? Why would you love me? – Week 1
Speaker: Daniel Erasmus
Worship: Listen to That’s the power by Hillsong Worship during group worship or your personal devotional time. As you reflect on the lyrics, we’re reminded that there’s power in the name of Jesus that levels mountains, that speaks of His love for us and that comes right into any situation we’re facing.
Check-In: Share something you’re personally celebrating that God has done or doing in your life. Or if you’ve invited someone to church during Holy Week, Easter, or Baptism Sunday, share this experience with the group.
Bible Readings: Deuteronomy 29:29; John 3:16; Romans 5:8; 1 John 4:8-10
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
Ps Daniel reminded us that this series isn’t about getting all our “WHY” questions answered (Deuteronomy 29:29), as some things only God knows, but it’s about us turning to God when we don’t understand instead of relying on our own human ability. God’s Word is Truth and His presence brings life. For us to know this; we need to be in a relationship with Him.
If you’re struggling with who you believe God is, ask someone in your group to pray with you.
- Have you ever asked the question God, why do you love me? In 1 John 4:8 we see that God is love and because of that He demonstrates His love by sending His son to die for us, sinners. Share with the group your view of God, your understanding of His love, how you see God’s love demonstrated to you, and how this is evident in your daily life.
- Ps Daniel spoke about two kinds of love.
● A love that loves…because of the object is valuable.
● A love that loves… and gives value to the object.
God doesn’t love us because we are worthy or valuable, we all know that we have scars and that we are broken (like Rachel’s bunny). God’s love makes us worthy to be loved by Him.
Share with the group what stops you from feeling worthy to receive God’s love or how you have come to know and experience God’s love for you.
- Why is it so important for us to know about God’s love for us? Ephesians 3:18-19 says that we can be filled with the fullness of God if we can comprehend God’s love for us. Share with the group what would change in your life if you lived out of the fullness of His love for you.
Check out and Prayer:
At the end of the evening take time to reflect in silence on God’s love for you, newly discovered or renewed understanding. Then pray back to God, prayers of worship and thanksgiving for His love for you.
Meditate on this verse: John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only son that we may have eternal life.”
For personal study check out the following devotions on YouVersion:
For upcoming next steps in your discipleship journey; like Baptism or serving. Sign up online at Church Center/ the website.