The Holy Bible: Love, Learn, Live (week 1)
Speaker: Daniel Erasmus
Worship: Play I Speak Jesus by Charity Gayle during your quiet time or during group time. Pray God’s Word over every area of your life, inviting Him into every situation you are facing, and declare His name that is above all other names, bringing power and healing to our lives.
Check-In: Share with the group how you have made room for the Holy Spirit to work in and through your life in the past week. Or share what is preventing you from making room, and what needs to change in your daily routine/habits.
Bible Readings: Read John 6:63 (MSG); Romans 10:17; Psalm 119:97-98; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; Matthew 7:24; Matthew 4:4; John 5:39; Ephesians 6:13; Psalm 119:9-11.
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
Whether you prefer to call it “the Scriptures,” “the Word,” “the Good Book” or any other name, the Bible is a gift from God. Every book and every story reveals Jesus to us and gives us the power to become more like Him. Yet far too many Christians don’t read it very often and are therefore unable to receive the wisdom and faith that comes through the Word of God. We must re-establish the practice of reading the Bible so we can continually re-establish the Word (Jesus) as the only foundation of our lives.
- Where did you get your first Bible? What was it like? Do you still have it?
- Do you find reading the Bible fun? Tedious? Difficult to understand? Enjoyable? Drudgery? Why? Why? Ps Daniel mentioned that we are to have LOVE for God’s word, what can you do to develop a LOVE for it?
- What is different about reading the Bible for ourselves versus hearing it from another person (e.g., via a sermon)? Why is it important to make Bible reading a personal habit?
- What is the difference between information, revelation, and transformation? What does the Bible provide? What do we receive from God when we read His Word?
- Do you have a Bible reading goal? What is it? If you don’t have one, what goal would you like to set for yourself? (When will you read the Bible each day? For how long? Where?) Write down your Bible reading goal for this week and/or tell another person what it is.
Check out and Prayer:
Pair up with the person you shared your reading goal with.
Thank the Lord for giving us the Bible and for the revelation that He gives as we read it. Ask for the wisdom to understand what you read and for specific revelation. Ask Him to reveal Himself to each of you in a new, fresh way as you dig deeper into the pages of your Bible. Make a commitment to Him to spend more time in His Word daily.
- The memory verse for this week is Psalm 119:105 (ESV) “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”
- For personal study check out these resources on the website to grow deeper. You can download the PDF.
There are a couple of next steps you can take on your discipleship journey over the coming weeks:
- Take a step of obedience to be Baptised.
- Sign up online via Church Center or the website.