PLOT TWIST – Week 2
Speaker: Daniel Erasmus
Worship: In preparation for Life Group or during your quiet time, listen to the worship song “Battle Belongs by Phil Wickham”. As you do this acknowledge that nothing can stand against the power of our God as we come before Him in prayer, lifting our hands to Him in surrender. The battle belongs to Him.
Check-In: As we reflect on the past week how have you been shaped or strengthened by the things that are currently happening in your life, family, or relationships as you have trusted God for breakthrough, healing, or restoration?
Bible Readings: Genesis 50:20; Romans 8:26-28; Proverbs 13:12; Genesis Chapters 39-41; Matthew 21:20-22 (WNT); Isaiah 2:22 (ERV); Jeremiah 17:5-8; Psalm 27:13-14; Psalm 73:26.
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
What can we learn from Joseph?
Proverbs 13:12 says “Unrelenting disappointment leaves you heartsick…” We know that we have all experienced disappointments in life, doors slammed in our face, dreams shattered. The truth is that can happen to anyone at any age. And as we look at Genesis Chapters 39 – 41 we see how the doors seemed shut in Joseph’s life.
- “Honest, but falsely accused” – Read Genesis 39, we see how Joseph was falsely accused even though he followed God, he was honest, but still the one to be in the wrong and being punished. Share with the group a time where you have been honest but were falsely accused. How did you handle the punishment, the accusation, what was your response to this? How did you rely on God during this time?
- “Used of God, but forgotten” – Read Genesis 40, we see Joseph interpret the dreams, yet they didn’t remember him as they had promised. How did Joseph keep his heart pure? He was used, but didn’t see an immediate reprieve? What is the state of your heart? Share with the group how you respond in situations where you are used, but you still don’t get the outcome or opportunity you want.
- Read Genesis chapter 41, we see here that Joseph waited 2 years before he was remembered. We don’t know the conditions he waited in, but we know that waiting for a delivery or something we have longed for – the wait can be exhausting. How did Joseph endure all of this? Share with the group what waiting looks like for you?
Check out and Prayer: Joseph had unwavering, unchanging, steady, “without doubt” faith in God – that helped him endure all the PLOT twists of his life. His conviction that God reigned over all the details of his life, from the greatest to the smallest of details kept him from doubting God even when the doors kept closing and his dreams were shattered.
Share with the group in what current situation you need this same kind of faith and conviction that Joseph had that God was working out everything for his good.
Take time to pray in pairs as you end the evening.
The memory verse for this week is Isaiah 2:22 “Stop trusting other people to save you. Do not think too highly of them; they are only humans who have not stopped breathing yet.”
For personal study, here are suggested RightNow Media and YouVersion devotionals:
- You’ll Get Through This by Max Lucado
- Trusting God’s plan in the waiting – Lessons from the life of Joseph.
- The Essential 100® Bible Challenge–3–The Story of Joseph
During your prayer time this week, ask God to:
- Help you fully trust Him in every area of your life.
- Help you to have unwavering faith in Him who is unwavering.
- Help you with any feelings of anger, confusion, hurt, bitterness, and sadness that you may be experiencing because of a Plot Twist you’ve experienced.
- To help you identify others in your world who may need encouragement or support during a difficult time.
There are several next steps you can take on your discipleship journey over the coming weeks:
- take a step of obedience – Baptism,
- join Discipleship 101 if you are new to Christ,
- join a serve team; there are various areas where volunteers are needed.
- pay for a teen to attend Elevate Imagine Camp 2023 or sign up to serve.
- sign up online via Church Center or the website.