BLESS: Week 4 – Serve in Love
Speaker: Pedro Erasmus
Worship: During your devotional time or at life group listen to or play this worship song I speak Jesus by Charity Gayle. Take time to sit and journal what it would look like if everyone you are praying for came to know the name of Jesus. Spend time praying for the names on your BLESS card.
Check-In: Share with the group how you were able to live out the principles of BLESS in the past week to make room for God to move as you invited Him in to make your community, neighbourhood, and family ‘liveable’ again.
Bible Readings: Genesis 12:1-3; Matthew 20:26-28 (NLT); Philippians 2:5-7 (NEV/NLT); John 13:1–8, 12-17 (NLT); Matthew 9:36–38; Philippians 2:3–4 (MSG)
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
Jesus’ ministry was characterized by service (Matthew 20:28). And he showed the full extent of his love to his disciples by serving them (John 13:1-17). We too can have a profound impact through service. As you listen compassionately and develop relationships with others, you will discover meaningful opportunities to serve them.
- Matthew 20:26–28, Jesus challenges us by acknowledging that we all want to be seen and known for what we have done and who we are. Yet this isn’t important in God’s Kingdom, that the way we are known is by how we loved God and loved others. How concerned are you with being served or finding ways to serve others?
- Pedro shared 3 practical steps we can take to serve others as we take off our crown and pick up a towel & a basin. Re-read Matthew 9:36–38 and Philippians 2:3–4 (MSG)
• SEE as Jesus sees. Become aware of others around you, stop, listen, and notice the needs of others.
• Become SELFLESS & SACRIFICIAL. Become focused on others and become a person who sacrifices for others.
• SERVE – with love and compassion like Jesus. When you have compassion, it moves your heart.
Which of these are you most challenged by and what action will you take to shift your heart towards what is on God’s heart?
- In John 13:1-17 we see Jesus model what it means to serve those in our world as He washes the feet of the disciples.
• Is there a heart check that you need to have to see serving in the same way Jesus did?
• Share with the group how you could serve by doing something practical for someone in your workplace, varsity, or family that is far from God in the coming week.
Check out and Prayer: Share what God has been saying to you about His heart for others, those who don’t yet belong. Pray back to God what you know that God is asking of you as we SERVE those in our world as Jesus would.
Memory verse: Philippians 2:5 (NEV) “In your lives, you must think and act like Christ Jesus.”
For personal study, here are suggested YouVersion devotionals:
Use the examples on the BLESS Resource to SERVE someone this week.
There are several next steps you can take on your discipleship journey over the coming weeks:
- take a step of obedience – Baptism,
- join Discipleship 101 if you are new to Christ,
- join a serve team, there is a great need for hosting and security on Sundays.
- join a Community Care Team to serve those outside the church.
Sign up online via Church Center or the website.