BLESS: Week 3 – Eat Together
Speaker: Daniel Erasmus
Worship: During your devotional time or at life group listen to or play this worship song “Run to the Father by Cody Carnes”. We often run from God instead of towards Him when things are tough or we think we can sort it out on our own. What does this look like for you and those you are praying for? Take time to bring before God the things in your world and those you are praying for and surrender them to Him.
Check-In: Share with the group what you were most challenged with as you took the time to listen to those in your world in the past week.
Bible Readings: Matthew 9:9-13; Isaiah 58:12; Luke 7:34-35
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
To BLESS others, seek creative ways to share meals and life together. Through the simple act of eating together, we have the opportunity to move a relationship from an acquaintance to a friendship. Eating helps to develop relational bridges, discover people’s stories, and discern next steps.
- In the busy world we find ourselves in, finding time to share a meal with someone is really challenging. If we want to be a blessing, we need to commit to creating space to do so by considering the following:
• Being Intentional.
• Being Inclusive.
• Invitation to be fully involved in our lives.
Which of these are you most challenged by and what steps can you take to invite someone to share a meal with you?
- We saw Jesus model what eating together looks like in Matthew 9:9-13 and many other stories. Share what stands out to you from this passage that would help you see “eating together” in a different light.
- “When we invite friends for a meal, we do much more than offer them food for their bodies. We offer friendship, fellowship, good conversation, intimacy, and closeness. When we say, ‘Help yourself… take some more… don’t be shy…have another glass…’ we offer our guests not only our food and drink but also ourselves. A spiritual bond grows, and we become food and drink for one another.” Henri J.M. Nouwen
- As you consider the quote by Henri Nouwen. Share what God has spoken to you about regarding rebuilding and making your community, neighbourhood, and family ‘liveable’ again as we live out the principles of BLESS daily.
Check out and Prayer: Take time to pray for those names on your BLESS card in the coming week as you consider whom you will invite to share a meal or a coffee. Ask the Holy Spirit for courage and conviction to carry out this step!
Memory verse: Isaiah 58:12 (MSG) “You’ll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew, rebuild the foundations from out of your past. You’ll be known as those who can fix anything, restore old ruins, rebuild, and renovate, make the community liveable again.”
For personal study, here are suggested YouVersion devotionals:
Ask God to help you as you take a decision to ‘eat’ with others who aren’t in your circle. Use the questions on the BLESS Resource as conversation starters.
There are several next steps you can take on your discipleship journey over the coming weeks:
- take a step of obedience – Baptism,
- join Discipleship 101 if you are new to Christ,
- join a serve team, there is a great need for hosting and security on Sundays.
Sign up online via Church Center or the website.