BLESS: Week 2 – LISTEN
Speaker: Daniel Erasmus
Worship: During your devotional time or at life group listen to or play this worship song “What He’s Done”. Spend time giving thanks to God for what He’s done and what is going to do; in your life and in the life of others. He deserves all the glory and honour.
Check-In: Share with the group how your week of prayer went, has there been any significant change in the situation or person you’ve been praying for? Or share how being in committed prayer for 5 min a day for the 7 days, has affected and impacted your heart.
Bible Readings: Gen 12:2-2; John 5:1-9; Mark 6:30; Mark 10: 48-52; Luke 12:12; Isaiah 30:21
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
Importance of Listening: (PDF)
Listening to others may seem like a simple thing to do but it can make a huge difference in someone’s life. For people to realise that they are loved by God and by us we need to become intentional listeners. It is ultimately part of our Mission and part of LOVE GOD and LOVE PEOPLE.
Sometimes the only way we can BLESS others is by LISTENING to them. Identify who you can check in with to hear how
they are doing; it could be the 5 names on your card. In which way can you give a listening ear to these people. Share
with the group what step you can take towards making this happen? (Mark 10:48-52) What did JESUS do?
- As we listened to the experience a nurse had with a baby in crisis, while everyone was distracted by the heart monitor, she managed to focus on what could be heard (or not heard) from the baby. What in your life symbolises the heart monitor and distracting you from “LISTENING” to your family, friends, or colleagues? Share what changes you need to make for you to eliminate the distraction.
- Besides LISTENING to people, we also need to pay attention to what PLACES have to say. We heard a story of how missionaries listened to the needs of those in a rural community in India. The missionaries first assumed one thing based on what they saw but only when they listened to what the community wanted could they help them.
Share with the group the places you find yourself in regularly, and how you can be a better listener there. Perhaps you have heard but not acted on something you heard. Discuss how you can be a blessing in this place.
Check out and Prayer: We are challenged to be better listeners which is only possible by the power of the Holy Spirit. In Isaiah 30:21 we learn how the Holy Spirit can guide us. Before we can listen, we need to pray. As we check out, go around the circle and pray that the Holy Spirit will make us more attentive to the voices of others. This week every day, pray “Jesus, help me to listen today.”
Memory verse: Luke 12:12 “for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”
For personal study, here are suggested YouVersion devotionals and RightNow Media:
Ask God to help you to be a better listener; “Jesus, help me listen today”
- Ask the Holy Spirit to give you the necessary words to say.
There are several next steps you can take on your discipleship journey over the coming weeks:
- take a step of obedience – Baptism,
- join Discipleship 101 if you are new to Christ,
- join a serve team, there is a great need in hosting and security on Sundays.
Sign up online via Church Center or the website.