Follow Me (Baptism)
Speaker: Daniel Erasmus
Worship: During your devotional time or at life group listen to or play this worship song “Great Things” by Phil Wickham. As you reflect on the words, give thanks for the great things the Lord has done in your life.
Check-In: Share what you did differently this past week considering what you identified in last week’s group time – being more intimately yoked with Christ, taking up your cross, or by carrying the burden of showing love to your neighbour?
Bible Readings: Matthew 4:18-19; Luke 15:4-10; Matthew 26:58
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
- This past Sunday we heard about following Jesus. In Matt 4:18 we see Jesus calling His disciples to “Come Follow Me”. What did you have to leave behind when you decided to follow Jesus? Are there still things in your life that are holding you back from following Him completely? Share with the group what you’ve left behind and what you still need to let go of.
- In Luke 15, we see three parables of what was lost and found. The “Lost Coin”, the “Lost Sheep” and “The Prodigal Son”. Jesus symbolises the Shepherd, the Woman, and the Father, and His focus is TO FIND. Keeping in mind our church’s focus on “Love God and Love People”, discuss what it means to follow Jesus and what does the destination look like?
- In Matt 26:58, we see that although Peter followed Jesus, his position changed when Jesus got arrested and made His way to Calvary. Peter was concerned about his own safety and distanced himself from Jesus. Discuss what could create distance between you and Jesus as you follow Him? What steps do you need to take to ensure you are not separated or distracted while following Him?
Check out and Prayer: As a checkout, share who you can identify in your circle of family and friends who have been separated from God. What can you do to help them “FIND” their way back?
Memory verse: Luke 15:10 (NLT) “Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous person who needs no repentance.”
For personal study, here are suggested YouVersion devotionals:
- Now What? By Scott Rodgers (An honest look at following Jesus)
- Who are you following? By Sadie Robertson Huff
There are several next steps you can take on your discipleship journey over the coming weeks:
- take a step of obedience – Baptism,
- join Discipleship 101 if you are new to Christ,
- join a serve team.
Sign up online via Church Center or the website.