In the Middle
Speaker: Justin Matthews
Worship: As you spend time in worship this week, listen to “Faithful Now by Vertical Worship.” Take time to reflect on God’s faithfulness, that He’s the same faithful God now as He was back then, and He’ll never fail you!
Check-In: As we spent 50 days reflecting and studying scripture, what have you learned during this period? Share with the group something that resonated with you or has impacted your discipleship journey.
Bible Readings: Hebrews 10:36, Matt 6:33, Ps 27:14, Isa 40:31, 1 Pet 1:6-7, Gal 6:9, John 10:10, Hebrews 11:1, Gal 5:22-23
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
- We heard Justin share his experience in waiting for a change in his personal circumstances and that he had to wait for a considerable period on more than one occasion. In a world where we want things to happen fast, we are reminded in Hebrews 10:36 about “patient endurance.” The first point highlighted from this scripture is God’s “Instruction.” It says: “Patient endurance is what you need now so that you will continue to do God’s will.” Look at Matt 6:33 as well. There’s an instruction and the second part is the promise. Some of us are stuck “In the Middle,” which is in between God’s instruction and waiting for His promise to be fulfilled.
Share about a past or current situation where you’ve been doing God’s will, following His instruction but now you’re waiting in the middle for the promise to be fulfilled.
Discuss what we need to do while we’re in the middle – refer to Ps 27:14, Isaiah 40:31, 1 Pet 1:6-7.
- The second point from this scripture is “Then you will receive all that He has promised.” This shows us that after we follow God’s instructions, we will receive His promise, but we need to be obedient even when we’re unsure of the timing. Refer to Gal 6:9 and Hebrews 11:1. As we also look at John 10:10 we are reminded of what’s in store for us. Discuss what role the Holy Spirit has in our lives while we’re in the middle, waiting, Gal 5:22-23.
Be vulnerable and share what your need is in your current (personal/family/work) situation.
Check out and Prayer time: Pray for the requests made by praying for the person next to you.
For personal study, here are suggested YouVersion devotionals:
- Holiday Club is an opportunity for us to sow and to invite those in our worlds to participate and to hear about God’s love by inviting the kids in your world to attend. Encourage a child in your family or of a friend to attend. Your financial contribution will also be greatly appreciated, all the details are on our Church Center App.
- Winter is approaching and we often buy new things or do a clean out of our cupboards. Bring your gently used clothes for UTurn and help support those in need.
- Consider signing up for a Freedom Group starting in August. The aim of the course is to identify and eliminate things that prevent us from living a life of Freedom. Don’t miss out.