50 Day’s Series: Waiting
Speaker: Daniel Erasmus
Worship: As you spend time with Jesus during the week, spend some time listening to Make Room by Kim Walker. Come before the Lord with all your burdens and concerns and lay it down. As you surrender to Him, make room for Him to work in your life.
Check-In: Share one thing that stood out for you during your quiet time in the past week.
Bible Readings: Acts 1:12-13; Luke 24:52-53; Acts 2:46; Acts 1:14 (NKJ); Luke 3:21; Acts 4:31; Ps 93:2; Ps 139:16; Ps 93:2; Ps 139:16; Rom 8:24-25; Ps 27:14; Lam 3:26
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
- Ps Daniel shared with us about “WAITING” and how difficult it is to wait for anything irrespective of the situation. Most of us are waiting for an answer to prayer, a situation to change, for breakthrough.
In Acts 1: 12-13 we see the disciples together with others in the upper room and in the temple (Luke 24:52-53). This behaviour highlights “WHERE” we need to be in our waiting i.e.: (1) In fellowship with others and (2) In relationship with God. Maintaining both these connections is important, something our church is passionate about “Love God and Love People”. Refer also to Acts 2:46.
Share with the group what behaviour you adopt when waiting and how the above two points can sustain us through the waiting period.
- Something we as a church strongly believe is that “Prayer is our first response, not our last resort.” The second point is “HOW” we wait. Prayer is the posture we need to adopt when waiting. Prayer changes so many things in our lives but it most importantly enables us to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
Look at Acts 1:14 (NKJ), we see that all who were gathered did so in prayer and supplication (with intensity and urgency). What does your prayer life look like when you’re waiting? Share a time when your prayer was answered.
- The third point regarding “WAITING” is “WHY” do we wait? Why does the Lord make us wait? In Ps 139:16 and Ps 93:2 we see that God is all-knowing and in control of everything. By waiting, many things happen to us, but most importantly our faith is being strengthened as we seek Him daily. If we look at why the disciples had to wait, He was preparing them, building their relationship with Him, and strengthening their faith to position them for what is to come: THE HOLY SPIRIT.
Reflect on these scriptures: Rom 8:24-25; Ps 27:14; Lam 3:26. What have you learned during your period of waiting? Whether it’s a current situation or something that you’ve been through already. Be vulnerable and share with the group how your faith was impacted or is being impacted during this period.
For personal study, here are suggested YouVersion devotionals:
- Holiday Club is an opportunity for us to sow and to invite those in our worlds to participate and to hear about God’s love whether through serving or inviting the kids to attend. Find out more info or sign up to serve on the Church Center App.
- Winter is approaching and we often buy new things or do a cleanout of our cupboards. Bring your gently used clothes for UTurn and help support those in need.
- Invite someone who is new to the church to join at the Welcome Home Dinner on Tuesday 7 June. Sign up via the website or the Church Center App.