50 Day’s Series: Believe
Speaker: Barbie Erasmus
Worship: During your time with God, spend a few minutes listening to That’s the Power by Hillsong. The name of Jesus is the name that’s above all circumstances that we may face – He’s victorious in every battle. Take time to sit with Jesus and allow the power and hope of who He is and what He’s done breakthrough whatever you are facing right now.
Check-In: Share with the group what you have committed to doing over the next few weeks in preparation for Pentecost Sunday and how it’s going or how the group can support you.
Bible Readings: Acts 1:3-5 (MSG), John 20:14-16, 24-29, John 14:27, John 20:25-26 (NLT), Jude 1:22 (NIV)
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
- Jesus knew that his disciples were struggling with doubt, confusion, and fear, that they were vulnerable. He showed up in their worlds – along the road to Emmaus, at the tomb, and (John 20:24-29) when Thomas was doubting.
Doubt is part of our human condition and not a sin. Share with the group what you are trusting God for and where you are doubting in the process.
- When going through difficult times, shame and doubt can cause us to isolate ourselves from others. Share with the group a time in your life more recently when you have isolated yourself – from God, from the group, from friends, and from church? What was it that brought you back to a place of community/relationship?
- From the above scriptures we see that Jesus met Mary and the disciples at the point of their need. The Word of God is our source of peace, comfort, strength, and encouragement, meeting our needs. Share a favourite verse(s) that you go to in times of doubt, unbelief or when you need to be encouraged.
Check out and Prayer time:
Share with the group what step of faith you will take this week to trust God, to seek Him first – not man.
Take time to pray for one another, encourage one another with God’s Word.
For personal study, here is a suggested YouVersion devotional, as well as a book by Henry Blackaby that we would encourage you to read.
- Share God’s love with those you have been praying for. Share with them what God has been doing in your heart and life and how much He loves us unconditionally.
- Winter is approaching and we often buy new things or do a cleanout of our cupboards. Bring your gently used clothes for UTurn and help support those in need