Uncomplicated: Relationships – Myths and Lies
Worship: Spend time throughout the week during your time with God listening to Faithful Now by Vertical Worship. As you spend time in worship, be reminded that God is and always will be faithful.
Check-In: If your phone could talk to you, what would it say that you worship?
Bible Readings: Anchor: Matthew 6:33; Ephesians 1:5-6; 1 Timothy 4:1, 6-8; 2 Timothy 4:3-4; Jeremiah 17:9; Proverbs 12:15; Proverbs 3:5; Ephesians 5:22, 25; Genesis 2:24; 1 Thessalonians 5:22-24; 1 John 4:19;
1 Corinthians 3:15; Ephesians 4:2; James 4:1-4; Matthew 6:34 (MSG)
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
- Do you find that it’s sometimes easier to defend living life making your own choices, than surrendering to God’s will?
- Ps Daniel shared this thought with us: “In order for relationships to work, let the One who designed them define them”. Our anchor passage is Matthew 6:33 – re-read this verse. How can we apply both what the verse says and this quote to our relationships? What practical steps can you take to help grow your relationships into ones that are more uncomplicated, the way they were designed to be?
- There are many myths or lies that we may have believed about relationships and Ps Daniel mentioned the following four:
• Just follow your heart…
• “Happily ever after”
• “There is the one”
• I deserve to be happy…
We must replace these myths and lies with the truth of God’s Word. Share what you are committing to change/replace when looking at the state of your relationships. What areas do you need to be intentional about working on?
- CS Lewis says, “Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy”. Share with the group a time where you have found yourself searching for something to make you happy other than finding it in God. What brought you back to God’s Word as your source for living an abundant life?
Prayer time: Take time to pray for one another. Pray that God would remind us that He is the One who designed relationships and that in Him, we find how to have relationships that honour Him.
Memorise Matthew 6:33 and commit to seeking God first and allowing Him to put everything else in its right place.
For personal study, here are some suggested YouVersion and RightNow Media devotionals:
- Lies That Can Ruin A Marriage by Pete Briscoe
- There are a number of new Relationship-themed resources on our Edge Church RightNow Media channel that can be accessed here.
Love People: There are many opportunities to Love People coming up – see the Church Center App for more information:
- Join a team that show’s love to others with practical care and assistance: Career Care Team, Meal Care Team or Home Maintenance Team – check out the details to sign up.
- Invite someone who to join you for church as we continue our new series Uncomplicated: Relationships.