The Saddest Words in the Bible!
Purpose for the session: To deal with our disappointments by facing them and following Him wholeheartedly.
Worship: Listen to the song throughout the week or at group For the Honour by Elevation Worship. Then pray back to God a prayer of surrender.
Check-In: Share how you were able express your praise ahead of a victory in the past week.
Bible Reading: Read the following verses as you prepare for group. John 6:66, 26, 29, 41 & 60; Psalm 41:9; Psalm 34:18; Matthew 6:33; James 4:7, 10; 2 Corinthians 5:7; Colossians 3:13 and Colossians 1:12.
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
- Share a personal story about a time when you were disappointed with God, when He didn’t meet your expectations.
- The call to follow Jesus comes with a cost. Read the John 6 verses, then share about the sadness you have experienced that comes from someone close to you walking away from God.
- Pedro shared some reasons why people walk away and stop following Jesus:
– Disappointment with God, others and self.
– Becoming discouraged and weary in our walk with God.
– Stop putting God first in our lives.
Read Psalm 41:9 and share what this means for you personally and for those you are walking with on this spiritual journey.
- Here are 4 practices that we can follow daily:
– Surrender to God (James 4:7).
– Put our trust in God (2 Corinthians 5:7).
– Practice forgiveness (Colossians 3:13).
– Practice gratitude (James 4:7).
Our daily activities should show that we are living out these practices. What does commitment to making this a way of living look like (not just knowing we should do these things)?
Hold yourself accountable to someone to make these practices a way of life.
Check out and Prayer time: Prepare to break bread together. Read Matthew 26:26-27 and as you do, surrender to God anything that He’s highlighted to you during the sermon or group.
Pray these things back to God, asking Him to help you to walk in faith and not by sight.
Personal, your 1-one-1:
- This week take time daily to pray for those you have been praying for that they would know God in a real way.
- Be intentional about the daily conversations that you have and share what God is busy doing in your life.
- Invite them to join you at your home for church online https://edgechurchedgemead.online.church/
- For those who are ill – cancer and other illnesses.
- For those who are struggling financially for provision.
- For those who are looking for employment.
- For leadership for wisdom as we discern what gathering again looks like.
- For Government to continue to lead with integrity and wisdom.
- Get involved with Mercy Aids in the community of Fisantekraal https://www.facebook.com/MercyAIDS
- Get involved with UTurn Ministries by volunteering
- Get involved with Aslan by volunteering or contributing financially https://www.facebook.com/aslanhis
Daily Practices to follow:
Memorize Psalm 34:18 (NIV). Read this verse daily, and journal what God is saying to you.
For personal study, here are some suggested YouVersion devotionals: