Lift Your Head and See!
Purpose for the session: To cross over in our personal lives with the courage and strength that comes from God.
Worship: Listen to the song throughout the week or at group “Overcome by Elevation Worship”. Respond to God with a voice of triumph for what He’s about to do!
Check-In: Share how your words were able to bring life to those around you in the past week.
Bible Reading: Read Joshua 1:1-9 in various translations, Isaiah 43:19, Exodus 13:21, Joshua 3:15, Galatians 4:4 and Acts 1:6-7
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
- As you read through Joshua 1:1-9 we see the words that Daniel highlighted for us: STRENGTH (Zechariah 4:6), COURAGE (Matthew 14:29-31), DON’T BE TIMID (2 Timothy 1:7), DON’T GET DISCOURAGED (Isaiah 41:10).
What stood out to you from these verses? How does that relate to you personally as you cross over into a new era in your life?
- What personal “crossing over” is God calling you to now? Consider all aspects of life: physical, social, spiritual, and mental areas of growth; where you serve at church and in the community, at work, and in your family.
- We know that strength and courage are ours because of who God is. “Have I not commanded you”. One of the secrets to boldness and courage is an awareness of God’s provision and presence, especially His presence as the one who has promised to never leave us.
Share with the group how God’s presence and promises can help you to take bold steps in your personal “crossing over”.
- In Joshua 3:15, we see that the river was in flood, yet they needed to cross over right then. God sends the Ark ahead of them into the river and the river dries up and they can cross safely. His presence went ahead of them and yet obedience was required from Joshua.
For you to live and follow God out of obedience in this new era, share what shifts need to take place for you to do this. As you consider this and journal what you need to do, don’t just leave it here, choose how you will follow through on these shifts.
Check out and Prayer time:
“God, your God, is with you every step you take.” Share with the group what is God calling you to hold onto, to lift up your head and see. Spend time praying for one another whether in group or afterwards.
Daily Practices to follow:
Memorize Isaiah 41:10 (NLT). Read this verse daily, putting your name in it and reading it over your life. Journal what God is saying to you as you do this daily.
For personal study, here are some suggested YouVersion devotionals:
Current (18-25): Invite someone to join you at the next online event with View Sunningdale on Thursday 1 October. Keep watching social media for updates.
- Personal: For employment and work opportunities and for health and illness-COVID19 and other
- Schools: For continued wisdom in the running of the schools; for teachers and principals for health and strength and for the matrics as they write their mocks.
- Outward Focus: For continued support for UTurn and Mercy Aids, for opportunities to reach beyond ourselves both personally and as a church in being God’s hands and feet to those around us.
- Government: For wisdom for leadership both local and National and for our President for health and strength.
- Church Leadership: For unity and wisdom in the new season, for our leaders for strength and good health and for Daniel as he steps into his new role.
- Are you able to make a meal for a family in need?
- Are you able to make masks for the kids in Fisantekraal?
- Can you give financially towards UTurn or Mercy Aids to support them?