Keep the Fire Burning!
Purpose for the session: How to keep “the fire burning!”- keeping our passion and walk with God strong.
Worship: As you prepare for group, listen to the song “There is a King” by Elevation Worship. Lift your burdens up to God and then take time in silence and hear His grace and mercy for you today.
Check-In: Share how you were able to encourage someone or encouraged yourself with your story of “Even though… Yet will I…” in the past week.
Bible Reading: In preparation for group, read Colossians 2:6-7, Hebrews 3:7-15, Matthew 7:7-8 and Colossians 3:1-3, use various translations.
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
- Last week Colossians 2:7 was our verse to meditate on. Re-read verses 6-7. Share how your faith has been tested and how you were able to stand like Moses, David and Peter knowing that God was with you.
- Read Hebrews 3:7-15. Reflect on how to protect your heart from becoming hard. What could harden your heart?
- “Nothing changes until you start talking to Him.” Read Matthew 7:7-8. What do you need to keep on asking/seeking/knocking for?
- Jesus is the final authority on our lives, we are His sons and daughters. Colossians 3:1-3 reminds us of this. How are you living out these verses?
- “Don’t fake it to others”. Share a story about your experience of the last time you asked for help or helped someone else.
1-ONE-1: Invite your person you have been praying for to join you at Alpha online or at Church online.
Outward: This past weekend was Mandela Day and we contributed towards U-Turn and Mercy Aids. Consider as a group how you could continue to give in different ways to individuals that are in need or to these organisations.
- Continued passion for God for our congregation.
- Healing for those with COVID and other illnesses.
- Financial provision for individuals and small business owners
- Job opportunities for those who have been retrenched.
- Schools and teachers for God’s wisdom and protection.
- Equip nights – pray for the teams for strength and wisdom.
- Alpha – pray for those we invite to join and to take a next step towards God.
- Alpha Marriage – pray for God to strengthen and restore relationships.
Check out and Prayer time:
Take time to break bread together, remembering His amazing grace towards us as individuals and a group. Exodus 12:13 (NLT) says “The blood on your doorposts will serve as a sign, marking the houses where you are staying. When I see the blood, I will pass over you.”
Share your prayer needs and then spend some time praying for one another.
Daily Practices to follow:
Do a review of what happened whenever a fire was mentioned in Scripture and what those instances mean to you personally in relation to “Keep the fire burning”.
Memorize Matthew 7:7-8. Write out the verses or copy and paste it so you can see it regularly throughout the day.
Read or recite the verses and repeat throughout the day. Set a reminder to pray at different times throughout the day.
Suggested YouVersion plans to work through: