Don’t Watch the Waves!
Purpose for the session: To focus on Jesus to build our faith, rather than on our fears.
Worship: As you prepare for group, listen to the song “Goodness of God” by Bethel Worship. Pray back to God how God’s goodness has been evident in your life in this time.
Check-In: Share how you have been able to surrender your yoke in exchange for Jesus’ easy yoke in the past week.
Bible Reading: In preparation for group read Matthew 14:22-33, using various translations; Hebrews 12:2; Philippians 4:8 and Psalm 116:7
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
- When it comes to trusting Jesus, what keeps you from getting out of the boat? What keeps you from daring to trust Jesus?
- The disciples see a figure walking on the water toward them and they assume that it must be a ghost. We often make our fears out to be greater than they really are. But how do you handle real fears?
- Waves of negative information shift our focus from Jesus onto the waves. What can you do to keep your focus on Jesus and not the things that feed your fears?
- What daily actions can you take to feed your faith?
- Share how your faith has grown in this season and how you could encourage others who are fearful to trust Jesus.
Check out and Prayer Time: Share one thing from the group time that you will take into the week with you. Pray for one another to keep trusting God, not focussing on the waves.
- Think of ways you can come alongside those in need whether it is financial or in a practical way.
- Keep praying for those who are far from God or have lost their way, to return. Remember He is the Good Shepherd and He calls for them to return home.
Daily Practices to follow:
Memorize Philippians 4:8. Write out the verse or copy and paste it so you can see it regularly throughout the day.
Take time to do these things that we were encouraged to do in the sermon:
- Carve out moments to pray.
- Carve out moments to read God’s promises.
- Carve out moments to be together.