The UpsideDown: Jesus over Everything!
Purpose for the session: To apply the fact that Jesus is our Sovereign King to our lives.
Worship: As you prepare for group, listen to the song “See the Light” by Hillsong Worship. Pray back to God how you are going to use your life for His glory.
Check-In: Share what has been one dominant emotion in the last week as things changed again in our Nation.
Bible Reading: In preparation for group read John 14:1-7 and John 14:27 in different translations. Journal some things that stand out to you from these verses.
Preparation and Discussion for Group Time:
- James used this phrase “Jesus, our Sovereign King”. Look up the words ‘sovereign’ or ‘sovereignty’ in a dictionary or on Google. Reflect on how the word ‘sovereign’ relates to Jesus.
- Share with the group what stood out to you from John 14:1-7.
• In relation to trusting Jesus with everything and,
• Following Jesus’ ways for your life.
- Read John 14:27. Share with the group how God’s peace is at work in your life and how you can help those around you to know His peace in today’s uncertain times.
- Following Jesus’ way is like living your life between the riverbanks of His life, His characteristics, His values. Share how you are showing Jesus’ way to others in this time.
Check out: Share one practical step you are going to take this week to share God’s peace and way with those that you are connected to.
Personal: Use this time to share prayer requests, then spend some time praying for one another. Make notes so that you can continue to pray during the week.
Nation: Our nation is in crisis; our response is to pray.
- President and our Government, National and Local Leaders for wisdom and Godly leadership.
- Essential workers for God’s strength and peace as they serve.
- Schools – Principals, Teachers, Learners and Parents for protection and health, tolerance and peace.
- Provision – financial to meet daily needs.
Others: Keep sharing the many options we now have online for those you are praying for to hear the Word. These include Sunday online current or past services and Wednesday Devotional on Facebook. Equip Nights are online on a Monday night on YouTube and Facebook with Guest Speakers on topics such as parenting, marriage, and mental health.
Daily Practices to follow:
Memorize John 14:27. Write out the verse or copy and paste it so you can see it regularly throughout the day.
- Insert your name into the Scriptures so that you are aware that God is speaking directly to you.
- Read or recite the verse and repeat throughout the day. Set a reminder to pray at different times throughout the day.
Struggling to find a rhythm to your daily time with Jesus? Here are some practices you can do to help you create a habit. Do this as you prepare to spend time with Jesus daily.
- Find a place to sit.
- Prepare yourself by taking a moment to let go of the things that are consuming your mind.
- Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breath out.
- Sit in silence for 2 mins (set an alarm), focus your breathing, focus your thoughts on the silence.
- Pray to God the things on your heart – surrendering these things to Him.
- Read Scripture (start with the Gospels of Luke or John)
- Consider what God is saying to you from the scripture you have read.
- Pray, thanking God for who He is and what He’s done and is going to do.