Promise of Peace!
Purpose for the session: To remind us that we need to trust in Him because He has promised us Peace in all circumstances.
Worship: Listen to the song “Overcome” by Elevation Worship and then pray back to God one thing you are asking Him to respond to in this season.
Check-In: Share what are you struggling with in the lockdown and what you are thankful for in this time.
Bible readings: Psalm 18:2; Hebrews 6:17-20 (MSG); John 14:1,27; Ephesians 2:14
- Read Psalm 18:2. Where has your peace really been coming from before you entered this new season? What has the lockdown revealed about your real source of peace?
- In Hebrews 6:17-20 we read that God’s promises are unchanging.
• What stands out to you from this portion of scripture?
• Share with the group a promise that has God spoken to you as you have spent time with Him.
• How has this promise brought peace to you in this time?
- What does peace that comes from trusting God and His promises look like if lived out in your daily lives, relationships and caring for others?
Check out and prayer time: In a time of silence, pray through these two practical steps to receive God’s peace:
- surrender what you can’t control – be specific.
- talk openly and honestly in prayer with God about what’s on your mind about how you are feeling at this time.
Do you have an accountability and prayer partner in the group? If not, why not pair up with someone and then commit to sharing what you’ve surrendered to God and pray for each other in the coming week for continued peace in your lives.
Others: How have you shared the online resources that we have available to us with those you are praying for? This is an opportunity for those who wouldn’t necessarily come with you to church to hear the Word. As a group think of ways that you can encourage those who don’t know the God of peace in these uncertain times.
Remember that people are generally open to be asked: “How may I pray for you today?” Consider how you can be open to others in your community who are vulnerable and in need in this season. Let’s keep praying for our 1 person at 1pm for 1 minute daily.
Daily Practices to follow:
Memorize Philippians 4:6-7. Write out the verse or copy and paste it so you can see it regularly throughout the day.
- Read or recite the verse and repeat throughout the day. Set a reminder to pray at different times throughout the day.
Here is a suggested reading pattern for the book of Hebrews. Read it in The Message or The Passion Translation during this lockdown period.
- Read aloud a chapter a day.
- Then read silently that chapter again and highlight the phrases that are meaningful to you.
- Then read verse by verse and ask yourself the following questions:
-What is God saying to me from this passage?
-What is He asking me to put into practice in this week?