As we read Scripture, we see how people presented their children to God in an act of thanksgiving. Many times parents brought their children to be blessed by Jesus.
For these reasons we like to take time in a few services each year where we, as leaders in the church, pray a blessing over your child and over you as parent/s.
We see examples in the Bible of how parents asked God to bless their child’s life:
· Hannah prayed and committed her child to God’s purposes (1 Samuel 1:27-28).
· Mary had a moment of dedication with Jesus when He was a baby. When Jesus was presented at the temple, two older people of faith both held Him and prayed a blessing over Him (Luke 2:22).
· In Mark 10:13 people were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them (bless them). The people recognised their need to present their children to Jesus. The passage tells us that Jesus rebuked his disciples for not receiving them (Mark 10:16). He took the children in his arms and blessed them.
This is what we believe happens during a Child Blessing:
· Parents present their young child to God in an act of thanksgiving
· We, as your leaders and pastors, bless, pray over, and declare God’s best for your child.
The next Child Blessing service will be in term 2.